Water Loss or Fat Loss

Many individuals desire to lose weight quickly and are intrigued by-products or services that promote rapid weight reduction in the initial few days or weeks. They are now on the right track and will be able to adhere to it and lose unnecessary body weight. This may be enticing, but there is a downside to quick weight loss.

Many dieters who utilize such quick fat reduction solutions lose hope when their fat loss rate crawls. And while it would be nice if all the weight loss observed during the first part of the diet program were from fat, this is not the case.

Shedding weight is simple, but losing fat is not as simple. It is also not exaggerated to suggest that many diet advocates are aware of this issue but fail or refuse to inform dieters about it.

This is the reality. Because water is part of every human cell, much of the weight loss in the early stages of any weight loss program is attributable to water loss from bodily tissues. For example, fat-free mass is 70-75 percent water, whereas body fat is 10-40 percent.

With any weight loss product, especially ones designed to “allegedly” help reduce fat quickly, the body is compelled to release and burn stored glycogen for energy. Because glycogen comprises 75% water and 25% glucose, water is created as a by-product when glucose is digested.

So, during this first quick weight loss, approximately 75% of the weight lost is lean body mass (muscle and water), and the remaining 25% is undesired body fat. The body typically loses 4–5 grams of weight for every gram of glycogen burnt. Because water is heavy, bodily water loss is quickly detected on the scale.

It starts using fat for energy only until the body’s glycogen stores are severely depleted. However, because 1 gram of fat contains roughly twice the number of calories as 1 gram of glycogen, losing 1 gram of fat requires burning twice as many calories.

Because fat contains just 10-40% water, when the body enters the fat-burning phase of a diet, the bathroom scale tends to be significantly slower than when glycogen is being used for energy.

Taking into mind the above, it is regrettable to note that some weight reduction regimens employ diuretics to create the illusion of weight loss. Diuretics, both medicines and herbal, cause the kidneys to lose water. Aside from the loss of bodily fluids, the dieter risks becoming dehydrated.

Body water loss is the most common early quick weight loss result from any diet, whether traditional, fad or diet pill. However, low-calorie or high-protein diets might amplify this impact.

The natural path of weight loss is a rapid loss of water from bodily tissues, followed by a dramatic slowing in fat loss when the body changes to using fat stores for energy. After the initial quick weight-loss period, the pace of healthy fat loss should be approximately 1-2 pounds per week, or somewhat higher depending on the individual.

Now you know what to expect when a diet plan or other fat loss regimen claims to help you lose 10-30 pounds in a week. Of course, you won’t lose fat, but rather water.

Dieters’ concentration and expectations will not be excessively boosted if they know where they stand and what to expect when starting a diet program.

Understanding the nuances of weight loss, such as the bodily water loss idea, allows dieters to create more realistic fat loss targets. A fat loss strategy can be designed to anticipate scenarios and other expected minor failures that test the dieter’s determination without them feeling disheartened.

A healthy and long-term targeted weight loss program targets body fat loss rather than scale weight loss. A calorie-controlled diet combined with frequent physical activity is required for long-term weight loss success.